Thursday, April 23, 2009

Circe

your mansion rises
in the middle of a clearing
a dense wood, prowled by lions and wolves
the drugged and deadly victims of your magic

tales of your dark temper
are legendary

by magical arts
you reduce scorned suitors to cattle
or pigs
whichever suits your fancy

you leave them nothing
not even their manhood

still, I am drawn
like a wild beast
like all the others before me
to feast upon your witch's smile

red wine drips from your moist lips
splashes on a bare breast

like Odysseus
I suspect treachery from the outset
but I am only a man

even as I tear at your clothing
I keep one eye on the door
and a hand on my sword

Copyright Walter Wykes, 2009

1 comment:

  1. like this poem... captures the essence of the Odyssey and some too of Joyce's Ulysses (in a funny kind of way)...

    have a site you may like if you're into Beckett... I tried to do an online adaptation of the Unnamable into blog media (with limited success though)...

    will drop back again some time... thanks for sharing your work in this forum...

    ReplyDelete